Volkswagen Dashboard Indicator Lights
Dashboard Indicator Lights
There's a funny light on my dashboard. Uh oh. What does that mean? Check out the handy guide below for more information! Remember the rules for indicator lights are the same for traffic lights: If it’s yellow, be cautious and check it out as soon as possible. If it’s red, pull off the road safely—then stop the engine and call for assistance.
Use the following picture and corresponding explanations to understand your Volkswagen vehicle's service needs. It will be very useful when determining if you need service and then while scheduling service as well.
Green VW Warning Lights
Anytime one of your green indicator lights comes on, there is no need to be alarmed. These lights are just informational.
13. Daytime Running Lights — Daytime Running Lights are On
30. Shift Lock — The gear cannot be shifted without the brake applied.
Yellow VW Warning Lights
Yellow indicator lights are a sign that there is a possible issue, and the yellow color is trying to tell you to use caution when driving. If you see a yellow warning light, make sure you have your vehicle looked at by a Volkswagen service technician as soon as possible.
1. ABS — Potential anti-lock braking system issue. If the brake system light illuminates, there is an ABS malfunction.
2. AdBlue Level — AdBlue level is low, refill ASAP
3. AdBlue System Malfunction — Potential AdBlue system issue.
5. Airbag — The airbag system is not functioning properly or airbags have been deactivated.
7. Automatic Transmission Malfunction — Potential automatic transmission issue
8. Brake Light Bulb Failure — There is one or more brake lights that are burned out.
9. Brake Pad Wear Indicator — Brake pads are low or overly worn and may need to be replaced.
10. Bulb Failure — Solid light: there is a bulb that is burned out; Blinking light: potential headlight system issue.
12. Diesel Engine Pre-Glow — Solid light: the diesel engine pre-glow is activated; Blinking light: potential diesel engine malfunction.
16. Check Engine/Engine Malfunction — Potential engine issue.
17. Electric Power Control — Potential engine issue.
18. ESP/ASR — Solid light: Electronic Stabilization Program or Traction Control are inactive; Blinking light: system triggering event.
19. Particulate Filter — Something is blocking the diesel engine filter, see owner’s manual.
20. Fuel Cap — Fuel cap is missing, replace fuel cap.
22. Hybrid Drive System Malfunction (Yellow) — Potential hybrid system issue.
23. Immobilizer — Incorrect key to start engine.
24. License Plate Blub — One or more bulbs on license plate are burned out.
25. Low Fuel — Fuel level is low, refuel ASAP.
26. Oil Pressure — There is no oil pressure. This is technically a red light, you should stop the car right away in a safe place and turn the engine off.
27. Oil Level Low — Oil level is low, check oil ASAP. If oil is not low, oil sensor may have an issue.
29. Rain Sensor Malfunction — Potential rain sensor issue. Turn off engine and turn back on. If light is still illuminated, bring in for service.
31. Steering System — Steering system issue, stop the vehicle. Solid light: power steering assist reduced. Blinking light: steering system malfunction.
32. Tire Pressure Monitoring — Tire pressure is low. Could also be potential system issue.
33. Washer Fluid Low — Washer fluid is low, refill ASAP.
Red VW Warning Lights
If one of your red indicator lights comes on, stop the car immediately in a safe place and turn off the engine. Most times you will need to have the vehicle towed to a service center to pinpoint and fix the issue.
4. AdBlue No Restart — System issue or AdBlue too low, engine will not restart.
6. Alternator — There is low voltage output from the alternator, charging has failed.
11. Coolant Level/Coolant Temperature — Coolant is low and temperature is high, check coolant right away.
14. DSG Tranmission Temperature — Transmission is too hot. Stop the vehicle and shift to park to let the transmission cool down.
15. Electric Parking Brake — Parking brake issue, see owner’s manual.
21. Hood Open — Hood is open, stop and close hood.
22. Hybrid Drive System Malfunction (Red) — Hybrid system issue, stop the car.
26. Oil Pressure — There is no oil pressure, stop the car.
28. Brake System — One of the following issues: a) parking brake is on. b) ABS malfunction (if ABS light is also on). c) low brake fluid.
31. Steering System — Steering system issue, stop the vehicle. Solid light: power steering assist is failing. Blinking light: steering system malfunction.
We hope this guide helps you understand your Volkswagen dashboard indicator lights. If you need to have your vehicle serviced, make a service appointment here at Hamilton Volkswagen.